Yoga for Chronic Pain
When it comes to chronic pain, Yoga has so much to offer. Appropriate movement, mindfulness and breathing practices are clinically shown to decrease pain. While there is no magic bullet to curing your pain, there are things that can make a difference. Better yet, when used with other treatments, and medications, these techniques can combine to improve your life.
What is pain care yoga?
Pain care Yoga is a comprehensive approach to getting better. If you have had pain awhile, you have likely been to many different doctors, therapists, chiropractors etc… The fact that you are reading this means that these interventions have been unsuccessful. When pain persists for a long time, we know that it is less about the tissue damage or injury and more about changes in your nervous system. Yoga and Somatics are modalities that have been developed over centuries to address the nervous system. Pain Care Yoga includes:
- Pain education – knowledge is POWER and evidence shows that it is helpful for those with chronic pain.
- Appropriate, customized movement practices. I provide you with ongoing support delivered on a customized schedule via an app called True Coach.
- Evidence Based Mindfulness Education – clinically proven to improve chronic pain.
- Neuromuscular education – restoring accurate communication between the body and the brain is a major component of healing. I use Yoga, somatics (from the Feldenkrais Method®), resistance stretching and body weight training. I stay up to date on current research to provide the best possible program.
- A competent, compassionate ally in your healing process. I am happy to collaborate with your health care providers.
- Regular assessment to make sure that you are making progress
Yoga for Chronic Pain Program
I will work with you privately and sometimes offer small group training. We will customize a program based on your needs and budget. I can meet with you in person, at my studio Sound Method Yoga in Omaha, NE or virtually.
Yoga for Pain Care Program:
We will meet weekly for at least 4 weeks.
- Your first session will last about 90 minutes. During this time I will learn about you and your journey to date. I’ll do some assessment as well so that we can keep track of your progress.
- Sessions 2+ will be 45 minutes to one hour. See above for program details.
- To maintain your progress we will meet weekly or every other week for 2-3 months. Between sessions, you will receive support from me via True Coach. You can access your lessons from your phone, tablet or laptop. Your program will include customized movement, breathing and meditation practices.
- I am just a text away during the active phase of your program via True Coach.
- Ongoing support to build fitness, strength and resilience.
Since I started working with Mandy one on one I have seen improvements in my overall health. I have had issues with my hip flexors. I can honestly say that my range of motion has improved along with not having as much pain. I recently had an episode with vertigo and was going to cancel my session, but I didn’t. Mandy tailored our session to focus on exhaling. At the end of the session the vertigo was gone along with the sinus pressure, and headache. I felt 100% better!Orfa
I've attended Mandy's group classes for several years because of her wide range of anatomical and scientific knowledge relating to yoga, and her ability to modify any pose for those with limited flexibility. I thought I'd try private lessons when I started experiencing persistent pain from an active job and lifestyle. She has taught me techniques that are easy to replicate at home that prevent and remedy the pain. I have learned more than just yoga, but also why and how certain actions affect the body and brainRachel
Learn more about Yoga for chronic pain
Schedule a free 30 minute consultation with me. We will meet virtually or by phone.